lunes, diciembre 19, 2005

Documentaries

I know I'm not supposed to talk about the documentaries I translate, it is all confidential and all, but lately I've been translating a series of documentaries I really like.
They're called "Explorations powered by Duracell" and they're short documentaries about technology, human body and science in general.
I like them because they are short and about curious stuff. Even though I've always been an arts person, I am very keen on science. So with these documentaries I'm discovering all things I've learned as a hobby are coming very handy.Last month I translated three of these documentaries and they've made me think a lot. The first one was "Tomorrow's Ear" and it was about people that are deaf from birth and the new coclear implants they're inventing to overcome that. The second one was "Storm front" and it was about the climate change. Anf the third one was "First Impressions" and it was about the chemical reactions that triggers the body when we encounter a pretty person, how our genes are designed to be appealed by pretty people cause they seem healthier.I only talk about this cause I love having a job in which I learn at least one new thing every day and, though everybody says I'm a host of useless knowledge, everything I learn it's fascinating to me.
Due to these documentaries I'm sure all we've always called "fate" is our genes. They define how we'll be, which diseases we'll be prone to, to whom we'll feel appealed, and a whole list of things. And now we're starting to change that fate. Through the latest discovering about our genome, researchers know now how to change all those genes we think are "faulty" or that may be a problem to the future person.
There is a huge ethical debate about this and, although there are some things I do not think are correct, there are some others that don't seem so bad and that don't go forward often because of the double moral that reigns in our western societies.
I really think it's a pity to know that, on the one hand, the human race is capable of researching and discovering things that could save us from diseases or even make us live longer; and on the other hand, it can use those discoverings to destroy life on Earth. We are making the planet to rise up against us and, even though, we are so arrogant we think we can change the natural course of things.
In a book I'm reading now, it's said the human race won't evolve anymore because the natural selection law says only the strongest of each species evolve and the human race, as soon as it reaches a minimum technological power, helps the weak and needy. This is a statement that I think reveals a lot of us as a species and it's intriguing, at least. I say this because we've proved that even though we haven't evolved in thousands of years, we haven't disappeared, which means man can get to an "evolutionary stagnation" and still keep going technologically. Instead of removing the "faulty" portion of population, that is exactly what makes us improve the species, trying to help those that otherwise wouldn't survive. The ability to feel compassion for another being is what makes us human. It is ironical, in some way.
Well, there I launch this little shuttle for you to think about the world we live in and about the importance of small things. I recommend you read that book I talked about. Although, as I've been said, every time you read a science-fiction book, check up the date in which it was written. You will be surprised...
 

La memoria de las flores © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates